The IOM published report, “Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health,” makes recommendations for lifelong learning and achieving higher levels of education.
In 1,000-1,250 words, examine The Importance and the Future of Nursing Education and discuss your overall educational goals. Include the following:
- Discuss your options in the job market based on your educational level.
- Review the IOM Future of Nursing Recommendations for achieving higher levels of education. Describe what professional certification and advanced degrees (MSN, DNP, etc.) you want to pursue and explain your reasons for attaining the education. Discuss your timeline for accomplishing these goals.
- Discuss how increasing your level of education would affect your competitiveness in the current job market and your role in the future of nursing.
- Explain the relationship of continuing nursing education to competency, attitudes, knowledge, and the ANA Scope and Standards for Practice and Code of Ethics.
- Discuss whether continuing nursing education should be mandatory. Provide support for your response.
Job Options Based on Educational Level Options in the job market based on the educational level are thoroughly discussed. All options listed are realistic for the educational level. The response demonstrates an awareness of job options based on educational level.
Goals for Professional Education. The goals and timeline for professional certification and advanced degrees are thoroughly described. Clear and compelling reasons for wanting to attain an education are discussed.
Increase in Level of Education and Effect on Competitiveness in Job Market and Role in the Future of Nursing. A well-developed discussion of how increasing the level of education would affect competitiveness in the current job market and personal role in the future of nursing is presented. The claims are substantiated and realistic for the current job market.
Relationship of Continuing Nursing Education to Competency, Attitudes, Knowledge and ANA Scope and Standards for Practice and Code of Ethics. A well-supported discussion clearly establishing the relationship of continuing education in nursing to competency, attitudes, knowledge, and the ANA Scope and Standards for Practice and Code of Ethics is presented. The discussion demonstrates insight into the importance of education to the nursing profession.
Five Criteria for Mandatory Continuing Education Nursing. A well-developed discussion of whether continuing nursing education should be mandatory is presented. Compelling rationale and evidence-based support for the argument are provided.