Sally an 80-year woman, was recently diagnosed Alzheimer’s disease. The family is asking you to explain what all of this means. Sally is started on Donepezil for treatment. They are frantic and visibly upset.
You will need to address the following questions:
- How did this happen, how did she get Alzheimer’s?
- What is the risk of her children getting it?
- Will they be able to reverse and cure the disease process?
- The daughter is a nurse and is asking you to explain the mechanism of action of how the medication works (MOA) and what is the therapeutic effects of the medication?
- What kind of side effects she they anticipate?