Jennifer is a 25 year old woman who has just found out she is pregnant. Maintaining healthy pregnancy is necessary. Her doctor has estimated that she is about 8 weeks along. Jennifer is 5’5″ tall, and her pre-pregnancy weight was 170 lbs. Jennifer has a busy schedule and rarely gets a chance to shop for groceries, so she eats out quite a bit. Prior to becoming pregnant, she had attempted to adopt a healthy diet and has started to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into her diet. Her major downfall is that she does not always remember to eat breakfast. She has been experiencing a significant amount of morning sickness, and has discovered the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on white bread are one of the only food items that do not make her feel ill, so she has been eating them for lunch almost daily. Jennifer is also not very active. Prior to her pregnancy, she would get less than 30 minutes of activity per day. Considering the information above, please answer the following questions, using information from your module to support your thoughts.
1. What is Jennifer’s pre-pregnancy body mass index (use the formula from the text)? Based on her body mass index, what is the recommended amount of weight gain for her pregnancy?
2. Given her current diet, what nutrients of concern for pregnancy may be missing that are important for a healthy pregnancy? Be sure to include an explanation as to WHY these nutrients are needed to support a healthy pregnancy.
3. How might you recommend she add the nutrients you listed in question 2? Please be specific in your answer by including food and meal suggestions.
4. What are two other concerns you have about Jennifer’s current diet plan? Please explain why these are of concern as it relates to a healthy pregnancy diet.
5. Please share two additional ideas/tips you can provide to Jennifer for improving her current diet to ensure a healthy pregnancy and healthy fetal development?