Develop a record retention policy for Wildcat facility which uses an electronic health record.
- Decide the content of health record forms at the hospital(use a teaching hospital)
- Master patient index for the hospital you chose. How will this be retained?
- Active records vs inactive records? How will active records be retained?
- Review any federal and state laws that may be applicable to your Wildcat Hospital (i.e. retention laws in state may vary from federal statute of limitations, age of majority)
When writing this policy consider the following:
- records of minors, mentally incompetent adults as compared to adult health records
- Professional association retention guidelines;AHIMA retention standards of the legal health record and recommendation standards (Figure 9.6 in text)
- State & Federal retention guidelines (i.e. Utah retention guidelines state 7 years for adults, AHIMA advises 10 years)
- Destruction methods (figure 9.7) of health records, what must the hospital contain upon destruction of health records